Some individuals may require or benefit from submitting a letter of invitation to their visa application, particularly if their stated reason for travelling to Australia is to visit friends or family. Letters of invitation should generally include the following information about the individual applying:
- Full, given name
- Current address
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
- Relationship to the individual who they are visiting (e.g. parent, sibling, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, friend, business associate)
- Reason for the visit (e.g. family visit, holiday, event, business meeting)
- Length of intended stay and planned date of departure
- Where the applicant will be staying
The following information should also be provided about the individual writing the invitation letter:
- Full given name
- Telephone number
- Date of Birth
- Citizenship/residency status in Australia
- Scan/picture of passport and/or visa
The above information is for guidance only, and the need for and precise contents of any invitation letter may vary from applicant to applicant.
For further information and peace of mind on your individual requirements prior to submitting a visa application, please don’t hesitate to contact a member of our team.
Example of a letter of invitation
21 September 2023
4/56 Smith Street
Re: To Whom It May Concern:
Application for Tourist visa: George Robson; October 18 1992; Passport No: W8365542
I am writing to confirm I wish to invite George Robson to visit me in Melbourne, Australia for 2 weeks as part of a short vacation. He intends to arrive on 15 November 2024 and leave on 29 November 2023.
I am an Australian citizen working at Eagle Island Consultancy Services in Melbourne. I will be on annual leave for the duration of Mr Robson’s visit.
I can confirm that I can provide accomodation for Mr Robson for the entirety of his stay in Australia.
I have attached evidence of the following documents:
• My current passport
• My apartment’s tenancy agreement
Please get in touch if you require any further details.
78 Hockley Road
Melbourne, Australia. VIC 3145
Re: Letter of invitation letter for my parents’ application for an Australian tourist visa
Applicants: Roger Davison (passport no: T737902) and Thea Longstaff (passport no: R773272)
To whom it may concern.
I am writing to support my parents’ applications for tourist visas to enter Australia. I am due to receive my PhD at Victoria University on I’d like to ask for consideration of a visitor visa for my parents. I have recently completed my PhD degree at Victoria University and my graduation ceremony is set for 13th April 2023. My parents would like to attend the ceremony and spend a month visiting me and having a holiday.
I am currently living in Australia on a student visa, which is valid until 16th January 2024. My parents will initially stay with me, then in holiday rentals for the rest of their stay.
I have enclosed copies of the following supporting documentation:
- My passport
- My student visa
Please get in touch should you require further details.
- How to extend your stay in Australia on a Visitor visa?
- Reasons for Australian Visitor Visa Refusal
- Australia Visa Waivers and Refunds
- Australia and New Zealand Safe Travel Zone
- Permissible Activities on Visitor Visas
- Bringing Family Members to Australia
- Visitor Visa options for Parents after COVID-19
- Australian borders likely to open in beginning of 2022
- Australia’s four-phase plan to open its border